Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Here’s the deal: Most surveys are junk. They waste your time and clutter your inbox.
But there are some online surveys that are legitimate payers and you can make some money, as I’ll show you in this post.
You’ll see the 3 steps I took to squeak out $150.00 in one month for online surveys. You’ll also see:
- How much money you can make taking online surveys
- If completing surveys is worth your time
- Which survey sites are the best ones that pay cash
- The best way to make the most cash with a survey
- How to further your earnings
So, if you want to know how much surveys really pay and if they’re worth your time, let’s jump right in.
Can You Really Make Money Doing Surveys ?
Yes, you can make money.
But it’ll take a lot of your time and effort.
And what you earn will be nowhere near a full-time income, despite all you read about them being a great way to make money from home (they’re not).
Here’s what I know:
Surveys are the sport nookie of online jobs.
We try them out, kind of like them for a quick minute, get bored and put them aside, then we’re reminded of how easy they are and give them another look.
And here’s the truth:
- Just about every blog that tells us how to make money doing surveys has a list of what they think are the best survey sites. What these bloggers are really doing is trying to get us to sign up with the ones they list so they can earn a little commission. I doubt they’ve spent much time on survey sites.
- You have to be diligent if you really want to make money. Doing one or two surveys ‘in your spare time’ isn’t going to cut it. You have to treat this like a job…at least a part-time job.
- Doing surveys is NOT a quick way to make money because every survey site requires you meet a threshold before you are paid. And it can take a long time to meet that threshold.
- It’s rare to find surveys that pay cash right off the bat (continue reading – I’ll tell you one later). Most of the good ones reward you in ‘points’, which you redeem for cash. As an example: 100 points may be worth $1.00. A survey might be worth 30 points. Do that survey and you earn $.30 cents.
- All survey sites will have you answer some questions so they can see if you meet their criteria. And – no surprise here – a lot of surveys reject you. “Sorry, you’re not a fit for this survey”…is the response you’ll get…after spending several minutes answering questions. Truth is, I am rejected by about 50% of the surveys I attempt to do.
So yes, you can make money doing surveys as long as you grasp what I just wrote and follow the steps I’m about to go over.
Which brings me to this:
How Much Can You Make Doing Online Surveys ?
In terms of “by the hour”, don’t plan on making much more than $1.50 an hour doing online surveys. How much you make depends on how many surveys you do, how much each individual survey pays, and how long it takes you to do a survey.
I’ll explain how I figured out the $1.50 / hour in a minute.
Here’s the logic:
I played around with my favorite site, Survey Junkie, to see if I could actually make money doing online surveys.
I picked this one because it’s an uncluttered platform, there are plenty of surveys to do, they tell you how long each survey takes to do, and they’re up front about how much their points are worth: 100 points = $1.00. And, most importantly, they didn’t reject me.
Like most surveys, the general idea is this: You do surveys, earn points, then redeem your points for CASH (or gift cards if you want).
Going back to Survey Junkie, you can easily make $150.00 a month if you aim to do at least 15 surveys a day. And believe me, that’s lot of surveys ! Especially when you’re rejected by half of them. But this survey platform had a lot of surveys to do…even for me.
Here’s the math:
Earning per hour
Still looking at Survey Junkie, we know how long it’ll take to do each survey. Let’s say you have 3 20-minute long surveys you can do. And, taking an average of the points per survey, each survey is worth 50 points.
That’s one full hour to accumulate 150 points.
Now, because we know that every 100 points earned is worth $1.00, the math comes to $1.50.
That’s $1.50 for an hour’s work.
Earning per month
Let’s say you’re on Survey Junkie and do five 30-point surveys an hour for three hours. That’s 15 surveys totaling 450 points, which translates to $4.50 for 3 hours of work (because 100 points = $1.00). Let’s also say you only want to do 3 hours of surveys a day, no more. So your $4.50 for 3 hours a day then translates to $135.00 for the month ($4.50 times 30 days).
$135.00 is nice…if you forget about how many hours in the month you spent to get that $135 (answer: 90 hours).
But, the more surveys you do in a day, the MORE MONEY you’ll make, and here’s how to do it:
3 Steps To Make Money For Doing Online Surveys
Step #1: Only do surveys that actually pay CASH.
But it’s time consuming trying to figure out which survey sites are legitimate and actually earn you money.
Survey Junkie is one survey site that pays cash.
Here’s what you want to do:
Go to Survey Junkie (you can use that link). It’s one of the few legitimate ones out there, is free, and only takes a few minutes to get started.
Click the JOIN NOW button and go through the quick sign up process.
Next, answer a few questions, like your zip code, country, date of birth, name and gender.
Then, create a password. You’re now logged in.
The next thing you want to do is click the LETS GET STARTED button. You’re given the option to do a few focus group panels but you can say NO to them to get through the sign-up process quicker.
Getting started automatically earns you 25 points.
Now you’re going to want to complete your profile. This not only earns you more points, it determines the surveys you are qualified to do. And the more complete your profile is, the more surveys opportunities you’ll have. The profile questions are based on your household, family, and general habits but don’t worry – you can elect to not answer some questions.
OK, signed up and ready to go. Your dashboard will look like this:
See how you already have 75 points ? That’s 75 cents just for signing up and completing your profile.
Step #2: Only do surveys that have a high points-to-minute payout.
Before you start randomly doing surveys, you want pick the ones that have the highest payout FIRST. After all, you want to make the most of your time.
Let’s continue reviewing Survey Junkie so I can give you an example.
You might look at the surveys and think:
“I can quickly do three 30-point surveys that only take 12 minutes each and I’ve got 90 points !”
But those three surveys will take you at least 36 minutes to complete – you need to figure out the points-to-minute payout.
So do this:
Looking at Survey Junkie’s available surveys, divide the number of points by the time it takes to do the survey. This will tell you how many points you’ll earn per minute, and the more points earned per minute, the better.
In this example, the top survey is worth 30 points and takes 12 minutes to do. That’s 2.5 points a minute.
The bottom survey is worth 90 points and takes 20 minutes to do. That’s 4.5 points a minute.
So which one is more time and earnings effective ? The 90 point survey, even though it’ll take you longer to get through it.
And if you do higher points-to-minute surveys, you’ll make more per day…topping $150.00 a month.
Step #3: Rinse and repeat – but only with these legitimate survey sites:
Survey Junkie isn’t they only one worth doing. There are a few other legitimate survey sites that actually pay cash and they work pretty much the same, so getting started is a simple process.
Checking out the payouts, availability of surveys, and ease of using the site, there are only three others I think are worth signing on with.
1) My Points (you can get there through this link) will also get you around $150.00 a month. Similar to Survey junkie, you earn points that you you can redeem for cash and you’re paid through Paypal This survey panel has other ways to make money too, like clicking emails, watching videos…a little variety. Personally, I like just doing surveys but feel free to do whatever you want.
2) Inbox Dollars (use this link) is another favorite of mine because there are a lot of surveys to do. The pay is pretty good too, like $1.00 for a 6 minute survey. I will say this, though: I am not qualified to do all the surveys with Inbox Dollars and they don’t tell me this until I answer the first two or three questions of a survey. It’s kind of pain in the butt way to deny me, but I’m not too upset because their surveys are pretty quick to do for the pay.
3) MTurk (that’s the link) is Amazon’s answer to crowd sourcing. In other words, this platform is a place for people to pay others to do their little tasks, like market research in the form of surveys. There are always a bunch of surveys to do and the pay is always in cash deposited into Paypal. But you won’t earn much cash -plan on earning around only a buck or two a day.
So…Can You Make Money Doing Online Surveys?
Yep, you sure can.
You won’t get rich, it’s not something you can do in your spare time and expect to make more than a few bucks, but at least you don’t have to sign up with every stinking survey site out there.
To be honest, though, there are better ways to spend your time making money online.
Better side gigs that don’t waste a lot of your time.
Better jobs that lead to higher paying opportunities.
Have you started doing surveys yet ?
Leave a message and let me know what you think of them.