Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
Transcribe Anywhere is the most popular transcription training course that goes into great detail teaching total beginners how to make a career of transcribing general or legal audio files into written text. But is it worth it ?
Today, we’re going to dig into this course to see if it’s legit. and really worth it.
In this Transcribe Anywhere review we’ll take a look at:
- What the course is all about
- If there is a demand for transcription
- The price of this transcription course
- What the training material is like
- And a lot more
Here’s my review:
What is Transcribe Anywhere ?
Transcribe Anywhere is the popular ‘on your time’ online transcription training program that offers two in-depth courses: general transcription and legal transcription, which are parsed out into 4 packages (we’ll go into this later)
The courses were created by a woman who has been in the business for several years and runs her own transcription business. And because she’s been doing it for a while, she decided to share her experience with anyone who wants to have a career in transcription.
If you don’t already know what transcription is, it’s most basic definition is converting spoken words into written text. It’s a flexible job with the potential of earning well over $20.00 an hour. What drives people to this line of work is the fact you can learn how to do transcription quickly and easily and start making money almost immediately.
But to be a serious transcriber, and get consistently high-paying paying work, you need to understand all the techniques and skills required to be really good at it, which Transcribe Anywhere goes into in great detail.
What Transcribe Anywhere Isn’t
Transcribe Anywhere IS NOT a job placement agency. You have to work to find paying clients and jobs. But don’t worry too much about this because there is an active Facebook group with leads to paying jobs. Plus, the training you get from the course will provide you with the knowledge and confidence to find work on freelance and social media platforms.
Is Transcribe Anywhere Legit and is it Worth it ?
Transcribe Anywhere is 100% legit. and one of the only transcription courses approved by the American Association of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers.
It’s jam-packed with everything you need to know to be a work-from-home transcriptionist, but it will take time and a lot of hard work to get through the entire course.
Transcribe Anywhere is only worth it if you’re serious about becoming a Transcriber and don’t want to go through the trial-and-error of learning on your own. Based on first-hand experience, I’ll answer both questions with a “YES”, for these four reasons:
#1 The skills you’ll learn are far better and marketable than if you learn ‘as you go’ with entry-level transcription jobs.
#2 What you’ll learn from Transcribe Anywhere will broaden your knowledge of how to transcribe for any situation. Blogs, legal documents, schools…many business sectors utilize transcriptionist.
#3 Transcription is not going away. One of the biggest fears is transcription being replaced by software, similar to how medical transcription has been replaced by scribes. But I truly don’t see this happening any time soon because software cannot interpret tone, accents and context. Which, by the way, you’ll learn through the Transcribe Anywhere course.
#4 Because podcasting and video content is becoming more prevalent, podcasters and Youtubers re-purpose their content. This means they hire transcribers to create text of their podcasts and videos.
Be sure to read this entire review, then decide if Transcribe Anywhere is right for you. If so, scroll to the bottom of this page for a money-saving sign-up tip.
Let’s start with a quick look at the Transcribe Anywhere course:
Transcribe Anywhere: In-Depth Review
- You’ll learn the necessary tools and style guidelines.
- You’ll learn correct usage of punctuation, spelling, and critical thinking skills.
- You’ll learn time-saving tools: text expanders, short keys, and common notes.
- Several practice tests that mimic real-life dictations.
- You have access to the course forever.
- Updates are included at no additional cost.
- The course takes 2-4 months to complete and is entirely self-paced – you will not be penalized for not completing it in a certain time frame.
- Support from the active Facebook community AND the course creator herself.
- There’s a final exam and passing it ensures you’ve completed and understand all the training material.
- There’s certification. Although there’s no official certification requirement (like with teaching), showing certification will give you a leg up on any competition.
- You’ll learn where to find paying clients. The Facebook group is pretty active with job leads.
- Available 24/7 and is self-paced.
- Lifetime access to the course content – including future updates.
- Lifetime access to the Facebook support forum (can find jobs).
- Payment plan available.
- Several practice tests covering different formats and styles.
- Can be pricey, ranging from $797.00 up to $3997.00, depending on the training option you select.
- For visual learners, might be difficult to follow because it’s mostly text-based (more video coming in the future).
- No refund or guarantee you’ll find work.
Overall Impression Of Transcribe Anywhere
Both the General Transcription and Legal Transcription courses consist of multiple modules. The modules go over everything required to know how to do transcription, from the ground up, including proper punctuation, formatting, hotkeys, and how to use transcription software. There’s also a ton of practice audio files and templates, and lessons to build and market your business.
Both courses are pretty thorough and it will probably take you a few months to get through whichever one you choose. But whatever course you select, start from the beginning and go through all the lessons.
AND DON’T SKIP THE PRACTICE FILES ! They’re vital pieces to actually learning the transcription process.
Both courses are updated when necessary, which isn’t too often given the nature of the ‘business’. And when there are updates, you’ll have free access to them (if you get all the modules for either course). And what’s even better, the creator makes herself available if you have any questions about the course (in fact, she responded to my emails within a few hours).
How Long Does It Take To Get Through The Transcribe Anywhere Course ?
Transcribe Anywhere courses are ‘go-at-your-own-pace’ lessons and the time it takes to complete varies from student to student, depending on the time you have to dedicate to the program.
For example, you can cruise through it in a month or two if you’re working on it every single day or two to four months if you have less time to dedicate to studying.
Does Transcribe Anywhere Offer Support?
The lifetime-access Facebook community is a great resource for getting support from established and beginner transcriptionists as well as current students of the course. This community is a great place to ask transcription related questions, get help with the course, and really grow in the skills you learn.
In fact, the creator of the course is very active in the student FB page, so you’ll always have direct access to her.
And if you sign up for all modules of either the General Transcription or Legal Transcription course you’ll also get lifetime access to student support and upgrades. So, whenever the content is upgraded, you get instant, no strings attached, access.
How Much Does Transcribe Anywhere Cost ?
Transcribe Anywhere costs between $797.00 and $3,997.00, depending on which course and bundle option you select:
➡ General Transcription, $797.00 or 4 payments of $227.00
➡ Legal Transcription, $897.00 or 4 payments of $247.00
➡ General and Legal Transcription training bundle, $1,297.00 or 4 payments of $347.00
➡ General, Legal, and Fast Track to Success bundle, $3,997.00 or 4 payments of $1047.00
Now, let’s break down each of these training options.
Transcribe Anywhere Training Material
The Transcribe Anywhere training material is very thorough, with 4 course options containing their own set of modules and corresponding lessons.
The 4 course options are:
1, General transcription training;
2, Legal transcription training;
2, General and Legal training; and
3, General, Legal, and fast-track to success training.
All these options offer the following:
- A comprehensive set of modules created for each course option.
- Software video tutorials, and Transcribe Anywhere’s state-of-the-art 7-level practice system.
- Lifetime access to the entire course, no matter which one you select.
- Lifetime updates to course material.
- Lifetime membership to the Facebook group is included.
- You’ll have direct access to instructor and assistants.
- There’s a final exam and certificate upon completion of the course.
And when you pass the final exam, you can enjoy these benefits:
- There’s a Facebook Grad’s Group, which you’ll have lifetime membership to.
- Your name will be included in the Official Graduate Directory (adding to the potential of getting jobs).
- You’ll learn marketing how-to’s and online tutorials.
- Lifetime access to Transcriptionist Pro WordPress website theme & tutorials (so you can create a professional website or portfolio).
Now, let’s go into the details of each option.
Option #1 Details: General Transcription Training
As far as the actual training material goes, there are 6 training modules for the General Transcription course, each consisting of several lessons, training material, practice tests and instruction.
Module #1 lays the Foundation to give you the understanding and appreciation for what transcription is and how it ‘works’. You’ll also learn:
- the right equipment and suggestions used by pros
- proper transcription style
- how to do verbatim vs. strict transcription
- types of jobs you can do
- correct formatting
- how to ensure cyber security
Module #2 goes over the essential skills, punctuation, spelling, and critical thinking. You’ll learn how to transcribe numbers, phrases, clauses, and learn how to handle run-on or fragment sentences.
Module #3 teaches you all the time saving tools so you can be a more efficient transcriptionist. You’ll learn how to use text expanders and shortcut keys as well as time coding and commonly used transcriptionist’s notes.
Module #4 is the introduction to practice dictations. Transcribe Anywhere provides 60+ real-world audio and video practice dictation files. There are seven practice levels, beginning with easier dictation files and moving through to more difficult transcription exercises as you progresses through each level.
- Level 1: Clear audio in simple, short videos
- Level 2: Audio-only Files; Non-American English accents
- Level 3: Transcribing “Strict Verbatim” Style
- Level 4: Transcribing Multiple Speakers
- Level 5: Semi-Poor Audio Quality & Research Skills
- Level 6: Working with Time Codes
- Level 7: Transcribing Poor Audio with Foreign Accents
Module #5 consists of two main sections: the final exam and transcription certification.
- The Final Exam: Upon successfully completing the course, you’re invited to take the final exam. The final exam is graded by a human being and valuable feedback will be provided to the student concerning any areas that may need further study.
- Certification: Upon passing the exam, you are awarded a Certificate of Completion. You may take or retake the test as many times as necessary to be awarded a certificate.
Module #6 teaches you how to build your own business. This module prepares you for setting up your own home-based transcriptionist business or guides you with resources for finding work as a transcriptionist working for larger transcription companies.
In addition to all these lessons, there are downloadable and printable cheat sheets and style guides. These documents are a lifesaver ! Instead of memorizing all the keystrokes for time stamping, labeling speakers, and noting uncertainty, you can refer to these style guides.
$797.00 or 4 payments of $227.00
Option #2 Details: Legal Transcription Training
The legal transcription course is different than the general transcription course; it goes into detail with a different set of modules and lessons specific to legal transcription work.
Module #1 is the introduction to Legal Transcription and gives you the understanding of what legal transcription is and the duties involved.
Module #2: teaches you all the tools of the trade, including
- The right equipment for the job
- Proper typing for speed and accuracy
- Legal transcription style guide
- Comparing your transcripts with samples
- Practice transcription exercises
Module #3 goes into detail on the legal terminology and teaches the essential skills for legal transcription. You learn how to properly format sentences, phrases and clauses; parts of speech; general guidelines for punctuation and capitalization; how to work with abbreviations; and how to work with numbers.
Module #4 teaches you how to properly notate transcripts, use shortcuts to increase typing speed and accuracy, and employ spell check and other functions of their word processing software to produce accurate and readable transcripts.
Module #5 goes over legal correspondence and practice dictation, and breaks down how to do the transcription of most documents produced by attorneys and other legal professionals. When you complete this module and all the lessons, there is a midterm review.
Module #6 covers the legal process and court procedures so you gain knowledge of the different types of law and how a case moves through the legal process. You’ll learn the steps of a civil case, steps of a criminal case, and the anatomy of a court transcript.
Module #7 gives you knowledge with the various legal documents used in judicial proceedings and has downloadable sample court templates, pleading paper templates, and state and federal court approved legal form templates.
Module #8 is all about practice transcription and court proceedings, where you’ll master:
- The transcription of court proceedings with recorded audio practice files.
- Transcription guidelines for a court transcript (includes video tutorial)
- Practice trial transcription
Module #9 gives you a full understanding of the deposition process, with guidelines for properly transcribing depositions and several practice files (includes templates).
Module #10 will give you experience in transcribing various types of law enforcement files, including law enforcement transcript overview and law enforcement practice transcription files.
Module #11 covers conferences and legal association meetings, where you will master the art of transcribing legal meetings and conferences from recorded video files. There are several practice transcription tiles (with video files).
Module #12 is all about time coding for Legal Transcriptionists. You’ll learn how to be proficient at producing legal documents that include time stamps and how to insert them in legal documents. There are plenty of practice transcription files, too.
Module #13 supplies you with links to various tools and resources used by legal transcriptionist, including:
- Writing and style guides
- Legal resources
- Medical resources
Also included in this module is a final exam–which tests all of the skills learned in the course. Upon successfully passing the final exam, students will be awarded Certificates of Completion and will move on to learn how to build their legal transcription business.
Module #14 goes over building your business. After passing the final exam and demonstrating proficiency in the art of legal transcription, you’ll learn to market your new skills, including:
- How much Legal Transcriptionists earn
- Customer service essentials
- Developing a business plan
- Advertising (including building a website)
- Social media
- Connecting with clients
- Top directories for local marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), PPC, AdSense, and All the Rest
- Opportunities for Expanding Your Services
And probably most importantly: You’ll learn where to find contract work that actually pays !
$897.00 one-time payment or $247.00 in 4 monthly payments
Option #3 Details: General AND Legal Training
To access this training option, all you have to do is select either the General or Legal tranacription course from the main course page, scroll down a bit, and select the middle option. You’ll gain instant access to both the General and Legal training material.
The General AND Legal transcription training course consists of all the modules from the General transcription training PLUS all modules from the Legal Transcription training.
$1,297.00 one-time payment or 4 monthly payments of $347.00
Option #4 Details: Both Courses AND Fast-Track to Success
You can fast-track your career as a fully-inclusive Transcriber AND receive the best tools package to be set up for success.
To access this option, simply click either the General or Legal transcription course and select the third option’s green Enroll Now button.
This option includes everything from the General AND Legal transcription training course, PLUS:
- You’ll get the equipment you need (aka Transcription Bundle, which includes the best software, headset, and foot pedal).
- Lifetime access to monthly live Q&A sessions with the Transcribe Anywhere team.
- Priority email support.
- When you pass the final exam, you’ll receive a professionally designed website (using the Transcriptionist Pro theme) and email support from Transcribe Anywhere’s developer.
$3,997.00 one-time cost or 4 monthly payments of $1,047.00
A Glimpse Inside the Training Platform
The Transcribe Anywhere platform is pretty easy to follow, with each training module clearly identified and all the lessons outlined in an orderly fashion.
The Main Platform: View Course Progress
After you sign up, simply logon to your Transcribe Anywhere dashboard. You’ll be presented with the View Course Progress screen – this is where all the modules and lessons are listed and looks like this:
The left side of the screen has all the modules with their respective lessons.
The right side has supporting documents and templates for each lesson.
To get started, begin with the module 1, click the unit lesson, and follow the instructions presented. Simple as that. If at any point you click the wrong lesson or unit #, just click on MY COURSE located at the top right to go back to where you left off.
The Lessons Platform
When you click on a Unit within a module, you are presented with a screen that looks like this:
On the left you’ll see the lessons for the module you’re working on. On the right are the supporting documents and templates. Click on the lesson and follow the instructions.
Is There A Demand For Transcription ?
There’s plenty of concern that technology will replace human transcription, and a lot of companies actually do use artificial intelligence (AI) software programs.
However, software cannot offer the same attention to detail and accuracy of a human transcriptionist. Programs are very predictable and cannot interpret tone, context, etc. Most programs are based on voice recognition and can often misuse words that sound very similar.
And because of that, businesses prefer to have a human perform transcription. In fact, with the exploding popularity of videos and podcasts, the demand for transcription is rapidly increasing. For instance, much of those videos and podcasts need to be turned into written content to be used for marketing, training, blog posts, website content, eBooks… the list is endless.
It’s no secret that companies and marketers of all kinds use transcriptionists. Some are big production companies and others are small, entrepreneur businesses.
What’s The Difference Between General Transcription and Legal Transcription ?
The main difference is that general transcription is the process of transcribing every-day kind of transcripts. This can be video transcription of blog posts, or podcasts.
On the other hand, legal transcription is the process of transcribing legal recordings, such as police records and court proceedings.
This is how the owner of Transcribe Anywhere puts it:
General transcription is the practice of transcribing from audio and video files for all different types of industries, such as academia, marketing, interviews, films, among others.
Legal transcription requires all of the skills necessary as a general transcriptionist with the added knowledge of legal terminology and documentation.
In other words, as a General Transcriptionist, you’ll work with just about any kind of business or entrepreneur and transcribe any type of document. As a Legal Transcriptionist, you’ll work with lawyers, courts, and police departments transcribing legal documents.
Where to Sign-Up For Transcribe Anywhere
With all 3 training packages, signing up is easy. You just select the course you want and click the green ‘ENROLL NOW’ button.
➡ If you just want to do general transcription, like converting podcasts to written blog posts, then you can sign up for the General Transcription course and start your lessons.
➡ If you just want to do legal transcription, then the Legal Transcription course is what you need.
➡ If you’re interested in both courses, it’s not necessary to buy the General Transcription course. Go with the Legal Transcription course because it covers almost everything in the General Transcription course as well as legal transcription.
➡ If you just want to learn general transcription then decide later on you want to learn legal transcription (or vice versa), you can add-on to your course by sending them an email.
Still not sure ? Sign-up for the Free Mini Course. It’s not really a course that teaches you any of the nitty-gritty; more like a 7-day primer of things to ponder to help you see if transcription is right for you.
Tip: When you click the ENROLL NOW button, back out of that page. Often, there’s a discount available this way. And, all the courses sometimes go on sale at 40% off.
Transcription Training Alternatives
If you’re not ready to take the leap and go for the Transcribe Anywhere course, here are some alternatives that’ll help you out:
- My step-by-step beginners guide to doing transcription. This free guide shows you how to get started with some of the most worthwhile transcription companies.
- Step-By-Step Transcription From Home is a highly-rated, 2 hour on-demand video training course that helps beginners learn transcription and create job-getting resumes.
- Learn beginner to advanced transcription skills. This inexpensive 1.5 hour on-demand video course teaches you how to transcribe audio from start to finish and how to work with text expanders.
- Master The Expander is a 4 hour video course that goes into great detail on using the Text Pro 7 text expander, which is a must-have tool if you’re serious about becoming a Transcriptionist.
Final Thoughts About Transcribe Anywhere
As you can see, Transcribe Anywhere is a pretty thorough transcription training course.
It may take you a few months to complete the training but you’ll gain the confidence and have a direct link to resources for jobs.
Are you ready to take get started ? Still thinking about it ? Either way, feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think.