This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission for purchases made through these links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.
Transcribe Anywhere: The most popular transcription training course that teaches total beginners how to make a career of transcribing general or legal audio files into written text.
But is Transcribe Anywhere worth it ?
Is it legit ?
Today we’re going to dig into Transcribe Anywhere to answer those questions. We’ll look at:
- What the course is
- If there is a demand for transcription
- The price of this transcription course
- What the training material is like
- And a lot more
Let’s get to it.
What is Transcribe Anywhere ?
Transcribe Anywhere is the popular ‘on your time’ online transcription training program that offers two in-depth courses: general transcription and legal transcription.
The courses were created by a woman who has been in the business for several years and runs her own transcription business. And because she’s been doing it for a while, she decided to share her experience and expertise with anyone who wants to have a career in transcription.
If you don’t already know what transcription is, it’s most basic definition is converting spoken words into written text. It’s a flexible job with the potential of earning well over $20.00 an hour. What drives people to this line of work is the fact you can learn how to do transcription quickly and easily and start making money almost immediately.
But to be a serious transcriber, and get consistently high-paying paying work, you need to understand all the techniques and skills required to be really good at it, which Transcribe Anywhere goes into in great detail.
What Transcribe Anywhere Isn’t
Transcribe Anywhere IS NOT a job placement agency. You have to work to find paying clients and jobs. But don’t worry too much about this because there is an active Facebook group with leads to paying jobs. Plus, the training you get from the course will provide you with the knowledge and confidence to find work on freelance and social media platforms.
Is There A Demand For Transcription ?
There’s plenty of concern that technology will replace human transcription, and a lot of companies actually do use artificial intelligence (AI) software programs.
However, software cannot offer the same attention to detail and accuracy of a human transcriptionist. Programs are very predictable and cannot interpret tone, context, etc. Most programs are based on voice recognition and can often misuse words that sound very similar.
And because of that, businesses prefer to have a human perform transcription. In fact, with the exploding popularity of videos and podcasts, the demand for transcription is rapidly increasing. For instance, much of those videos and podcasts need to be turned into written content to be used for marketing, training, blog posts, website content, eBooks… the list is endless.
It’s no secret that companies and marketers of all kinds use transcriptionists. Some are big production companies and others are small, entrepreneur businesses.
What’s The Difference Between General Transcription and Legal Transcription ?
As I mentioned above, Transcribe Anywhere offers a course in both general and legal transcription.
But what’s the difference ?
This is how the owner of Transcribe Anywhere puts it:
General transcription is the practice of transcribing from audio and video files for all different types of industries, such as academia, marketing, interviews, films, among others.
Legal transcription requires all of the skills necessary as a general transcriptionist with the added knowledge of legal terminology and documentation.
In other words, as a General Transcriptionist, you’ll work with just about any kind of business or entrepreneur and transcribe any type of document. As a Legal Transcriptionist, you’ll work with lawyers, courts, and police departments transcribing legal documents.
What’s Cool About Transcribe Anywhere:
- The course is available 24/7 and is self-paced, which means you can do it over a couple months or several months…whatever fits your schedule.There’s a final exam and passing it ensures you’ve completed and understand all the training material.
- There’s certification. Although there’s no official certification requirement (like with teaching), showing certification will give you a leg up on any competition.
- You’ll learn where to find contractable, paying clients. The Facebook group is pretty active with job leads.
- There’s lifetime access to the course content – including future updates.
- There’s lifetime access to the Facebook support forum.
What’s Not Cool:
- The price. It’s pretty expensive if you don’t have money to burn, with General Transcription training set at $597.00 and Legal Transcription training set at $697.00. Fortunately, there is a pay-as-you-go option, which eases the overall burden.
- There’s no refund or guarantee you’ll find work but the free email General Transcription Mini Course and Legal Transcription Mini Course will help you see if transcription is a good job for you. I highly recommend you signing up for these freebies.
Overall Impression Of Transcribe Anywhere
Both the General Transcription and Legal Transcription courses offer multiple modules that teach proper punctuation, formatting, hotkeys, and how to use transcription software. They also include a ton of practice audio files and templates, and shows you how to build and market your business.
Both courses are pretty thorough and it will probably take you a few months to get through whichever one you choose. But whatever you do, DON’T SKIP THE PRACTICE FILES ! They’re vital pieces to actually learning the transcription process.
The course creator DOES update the courses when necessary, which isn’t too often given the nature of the ‘business’. But when there are updates, you’ll have free access to them (if you get all the modules for either course). And what’s even better, the creator makes herself available if you have any questions about the course (in fact, she responded to my emails within a few hours).
How Long Does It Take To Get Through The Transcribe Anywhere Course ?
Transcribe Anywhere courses are ‘go-at-your-own-pace’ lessons and the time it takes to complete varies from student to student, depending on the time you have to dedicate to the program.
For example, you can cruise through it in a month or two if you’re working on it every single day or two to four months if you have less time to dedicate to studying.
Is There Support ?
The lifetime-access Facebook community is a great resource for getting support from established and beginner transcriptionists as well as current students of the course. This community is a great place to ask transcription related questions, get help with the course, and really grow in the skills you learn.
In fact, the creator of the course is very active in the student FB page, so you’ll always have direct access to her.
And if you sign up for all modules of either the General Transcription or Legal Transcription course you’ll also get lifetime access to student support and upgrades. So, whenever the content is upgraded, you get instant, no strings attached, access.
The price structure is a little confusing because you have several options, as I’ll explain.
First, There’s the ‘pay-in-full’ price structure, which goes this:
– General Transcription Theory and Practice: This is an all-inclusive transcription training course that teaches you how to transcribe for any company needing written text. The one-time tuition is $597.00 and includes all the content and training modules plus lifetime membership, support, and access to updates at no extra charge.
– Legal Transcription Theory and Practice: This course offers training specific to transcribing legal documents for Attorneys Court Reporters, and insurance companies. The one-time tuition is $697.00, which is often discounted, and includes all the content and training modules plus lifetime membership, support, and access to updates at no extra charge.
Second: There’s a ‘pay-as-you-go’ option where you can pay for portions of either the General Transcription or Legal Transcription course. These portions, aka lesson modules, are split into 3 levels, which allows you to split up the overall cost.
However, you only have access to the lesson modules in the first two levels for 30 or 60 days depending on the level you purchase but you can upgrade to a higher level for longer – or lifetime – access to the lessons.
For instance, in the first level of the General Transcription course, you pay for access to the first two lesson modules for 30 days. After 30 days, you no longer get access to the lessons BUT you can upgrade – at any time – to the next level for more lesson modules and longer access to the lessons.
Paying for either the General or Legal Transcription course via the ‘pay-as-you-go’ plan won’t save you any money…it just spreads out what you pay.
Take a look at the payment structure for the General Transcription course:
Third: You can enroll in both the General and Legal transcription training courses and save almost $200.00 if you pay for both courses up front. The price for all modules – both general and legal combined – is $1,097.00 and is frequently discounted by 20%
The Training Material:
As far as the actual training material goes, there are 6 training modules for the General Transcription course and 14 modules for the Legal Transcription course. Each module consists of several lessons, which I’ll go over now:
General Transcription Lesson Modules:
Module #1: Laying the Foundation. There are 9 lessons in this module to give you the understanding and appreciation for what transcription is and how it ‘works’. The lessons include:
- Intro to transcription
- the right equipment and suggestions used by pros
- transcription style
- how to do verbatum vs.strict transcription
- types of jobs you can do
- understanding formatting
- how to ensure cyber security
Module #2: Essential Skills, which focuses on punctuation, spelling, and critical thinking. You’ll learn how to transcribe numbers, phrases, clauses, and learn how to handle run-on or fragment sentences.
Module #3: Time Saving Tools so you can be a more efficient transcriptionist. You’ll learn how to use text expanders and shortcut keys as well as time coding and commonly used transcriptionist’s notes.
Module #4: Introduction to Practice Dictations. Transcribe Anywhere provides 60+ real-world audio and video practice dictation files. There are seven practice levels, beginning with easier dictation files and moving through to more difficult transcription exercises as you progresses through each level.
- Level 1: Clear audio in simple, short videos
- Level 2: Audio-only Files; Non-American English accents
- Level 3: Transcribing “Strict Verbatim” Style
- Level 4: Transcribing Multiple Speakers
- Level 5: Semi-Poor Audio Quality & Research Skills
- Level 6: Working with Time Codes
- Level 7: Transcribing Poor Audio with Foreign Accents
Module #5: There are two main sections in this module, the final exam and transcription certification.
- The Final Exam: Upon successfully completing the course, you’re invited to take the final exam. The final exam is graded by a human being and valuable feedback will be provided to the student concerning any areas that may need further study.
- Certification: Upon passing the exam, you are awarded a Certificate of Completion. You may take or retake the test as many times as necessary to be awarded a certificate.
Module #6: You’ll learn how to build your own business. This module prepares you for setting up your own home-based transcriptionist business or guides you with resources for finding work as a transcriptionist working for larger transcription companies. You’ll learn:
Income Guidelines and Setting Your Rates
- How to Handle Taxes
- Developing a Business Plan•Advertising•Social Media
- Customer Service Essentials
- Connecting with Clients
- SEO and PPC to properly market your business on search engines
- Top Business Directories for Local Marketing
- Opportunities for Expanding Your Services
In addition to all these lessons, there are downloadable / printable cheat sheets and style guides. These documents are a lifesaver ! Instead of memorizing all the keystrokes for timestamping, labeling speakers, and noting uncertainty, you can refer to these style guides.
Legal Transcription Lesson Modules:
Module #1: This is the introduction to Legal Transcription and gives you the understanding of what legal transcription is and the general duties involved.
Module #2: In this module you’ll learn all the tools of the trade, including
- The right equipment for the job
- Proper typing for speed and accuracy
- Legal transcription style guide
- Comparing your transcripts with samples
- Practice transcription exercises
Module #3: In addition to learning legal terminology, this is where you’ll learn the essential Skills for Legal Transcription, including how to properly format sentences, phrases and clauses; you’ll learn parts of speech; general guidelines for punctuation and capitalization; how to work with abbreviations; and how to work with numbers.
Module #4: When you complete Module #4, you’ll know how to properly notate transcripts, use shortcuts to increase typing speed and accuracy, and employ spell check and other functions of their word processing software to produce accurate and readable transcripts.
Module #5: Legal correspondence and practice dictation. This module breaks down the transcription of most documents produced by attorneys and other legal professionals and covers these topics:
- Introduction to Transcription in the Law Office
- Letters and Memos
- Transcribing EBTs (Examination Before Trial)
- Transcribing Attorney-Client Consultations
- Property Deeds
- Midterm Review
Module #6: Covers the legal process and court procedures so you gain knowledge of the different types of law and how a case moves through the legal process. You’ll learn the steps of a civil case, steps of a criminal case, and the anatomy of a court transcript.
Module #7: You’ll become familiar with the various legal documents used in judicial proceedings and have downloadable sample Court Templates, numbered-Line blank pleading paper templates, and state and federal court approved legal form templates.
Module #8: Practice transcription and court proceedings, where you’ll master:
- The transcription of court proceedings with recorded audio practice files.
- Transcription guidelines for a court transcript (includes video tutorial)
- Practice trial transcription
Module #9: Upon successfully completing Module 9, you will have an understanding of the deposition process and will have completed several practice deposition transcription files such as the guidelines for transcribing depositions (includes template) and deposition practice transcription deposition.
Module #10: This lesson will give you experience in transcribing various types of law enforcement files, including law enforcement transcript overview and law enforcement practice transcription fiels.
Module #11: This module covers conferences and legal association meetings, where you will master the art of transcribing legal meetings and conferences from recorded video files, covering the overview of conference transcription and conference practice transcription tiles (with video files).
Module #12: Time coding for Legal Transcriptionists will teach you how to be proficient at producing legal documents that include time stamps. You’ll learn how to insert them in legal documents as well as have practice transcription files.
Module #13: This module supplies you with links to various tools and resources used by the legal transcriptionist, including:
- Writing and style guides
- Legal resources
- Medical resources
Also included in this module is a final exam–which tests all of the skills learned in the course. Upon successfully passing the final exam, students will be awarded Certificates of Completion and will move on to learn how to build their legal transcription business.
Module #14: Building your business. After passing the final exam and demonstrating proficiency in the art of legal transcription, you’ll learn to market your new skills, including:
- How much Legal Transcriptionists earn
- Customer service essentials
- Developing a business plan
- Advertising (including building a website)
- Social media
- Connecting with clients
- Top directories for local marketing
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO), PPC, AdSense, and All the Rest
- Opportunities for Expanding Your Services
And probably most importantly: You’ll learn where to find contract work that actually pays !
So…Is Transcribe Anywhere worth it ?
To answer the question if Transcribe Anywhere is worth it I’m going to say YES, for these four reasons:
#1 The skills you’ll learn are far better and marketable than if you learn ‘as you go’ with entry-level transcription jobs.
Here’s what I mean:
I did transcription work in the past, In fact, one of my first work from home jobs was online transcription, with Rev.com and GoTranscript.com. I was self-taught with the help of GoTranscript’s formatting and best practices guides and I earned just under $500.00 each month working about 10 hours a week. To be honest, what I learned from Rev.com and GoTranscript.com got me through those two companies – and probably some of the other transcription companies worth our time BUT I was not able to get any clients on my own. My skills were actually quite limited and I got absolutely no independent gigs.
#2 What you’ll learn from Transcribe Anywhere will broaden your knowledge of how to transcribe for any situation. Blogs, legal documents, schools…many business sectors utilize transcriptionist
#3 Transcription is not going away. One of the biggest fears is transcription being replaced by software, similar to how medical transcription has been replaced by scribes. But I truly don’t see this happening any time soon because software cannot interpret tone, accents and context. Which, by the way, you’ll learn through the Transcribe Anywhere course.
#4 Because podcasting and video content is becoming more prevalent, podcasters and Youtubers re-purpose their content. This means they hire transcribers to create text of their podcasts and videos.
Transcription Training Alternatives
If you’re not ready to take the leap and go for the Transcribe Anywhere course, here are some alternatives that’ll help you out:
- My step-by-step beginners guide to doing transcription. This free guide shows you how to get started with some of the most worthwhile transcription companies.
- Learn beginner to advanced transcription skills. This inexpensive 1.5 hour on-demand video course teaches you how to transcribe audio from start to finish and how to work with text expanders.
- Master The Expander is a 4 hour video course that goes into great detail on using the Text Pro 7 text expander, which is a must-have tool if you’re serious about becoming a Transcriptionist.
Final Thoughts About Transcribe Anywhere
As you can see, Transcribe Anywhere is a pretty thorough transcription training course.
It may take you a few months to complete the training but you’ll gain the confidence and have a direct link to resources for jobs.
Are you ready to take get started ? Still thinking about it ? Either way, feel free to leave a comment and let me know what you think.