This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission for purchases made through these links. Please read my full disclosure for more info.There’s nothing worse than looking through millions of so-called “legitimate online jobs” only to find a bunch of junk. Or you wind up waiting weeks before you hear if you got the job.
Am I right?
But here’s the thing: Good ones are out there. Online jobs you can start now are waiting for you to make the move.
In this post, I’m writing about 5 online jobs you can get started with today. Not only that, I’ll give you companies that are hiring for these jobs. Oh…did I mention they’re perfect for all of you who want something that is super flexible ?
Let’s get to them.
Legitimate Online Jobs You Can Start Today
#1 Social Media Strategist
This is one of the best online jobs out there today because so many companies have made a major presence on social media. Plus, it can be done from anywhere.
And whether you’re working for a flexible company or managing accounts on your own, there’s no shortage of ways to get work as an online social media specialist.
Here’s what I mean:
- You can work for companies like Thrive, Boldly, Modsquad and Appen, moderating social platforms for some of their clients.
- You can also find a cool Social Media job on Hubstaff Talent and work on a brand’s image across all social platforms.
- Or, you can specialize in a single area of social media and be a pro on that one platform, like I wrote about in this How To Be A Pinterest Manager post
I know a lot of writers. I’m a writer. All bloggers are writers. What’s really nice about this kind of online job is the fact you don’t have to settle for just one kind of writing style or topic. And what’s better, there are so many places you can find writing gigs and make a nice chunk of change (I’ve seen some places pay writers up to $100.00 for an article).
How do you get started as a paid writer ?
You have 5 options:
1) You can start out by writing for some of the content mills like Copypress, Blogmutt and Textbroker. In case you’re wondering, a content mill is an online platform where writers (or aspiring writers) publish articles that are then sold to blog owners to be used as content on their blog.
2) Become a paid contributor for blogs. I think this is a great option if you have some knowledge and experience in a specific niche and don’t want to run your won blog. Just remember to read the guidelines and follow them exactly.
Here are some places that pay you to write:
3) Check out the well-screened Problogger.com job board because I think it’s the #1 place to look for writing assignments.
4) Become a freelance writer and set yourself up on Upwork or Freelancer so people and businesses find you. Start out accepting small writing gigs so you build up your profile, then move up to larger writing projects.
5) Give blogging a try because I bet you have plenty to blog about. Here are a couple ideas: Are you a new mom who has a lot of new-mommy tips to share? Do you have a lot to say about perennial gardening. Go for it ! And if you’re interested, here’s my guide on how to start a blog on WordPress.
#3 Proofreading / Copy Editing
If you do quality checks on emails, websites, and Facebook feeds then you’re a perfect fit to be a proofreader. After all, you know the difference between they’re, their, and there.
If you feel the need to make substantial changes to anything written, like restructuring paragraphs and rewriting sentences, copy editing is the job for you.
There are several options to get copy editing and proofreading jobs, as I’ll go over.
First, some of the best places to get work online are with these companies:
The pay varies by company but you can expect to make – on average – just under $20.00 an hour
Another option: become an independent proofreader. You’ll be able to get work with blog owners who eagerly pay people to proofread their writing.
Which brings me to this next point…
Freelancing is a great opportunity for you to enter a particular “space” in the online job world. You can be a pro in any field, work whenever you need to, and even travel while you work.
The coolest thing about freelancing ? Because there are so many types of freelance gigs out there, your options are endless.
Here’s a short list of some of the hottest freelance opportunities:
- Blog manager
- Web designer
- Plugin developer
- Video editor
- Graphic designer
- Photo edotor
- Pinterest Pin Creator
- SEO Specialist
- Teach english
- Be a Virtual Assistant
Be creative. Think about what you like to do. All you need is one client and you’re on your way.
So, you’re probably asking: “where can I find that one client?”
Let’s take a look at four options:
#3 Let’s not overlook networking. Reach out to friends and colleagues. Get your name out in the community. Networking will never die.
#4 Learn new skills so you can offer more in-demand services. Like social media. And Virtual Assisting.
To help you get going as a brand new freelancer, Pat Flynn of SmartPassiveIncome.com interviewed Charli Marie of CharliMarietv where she shares vital tips on getting that first client and making money. Take a look…
Ok,this is a little golden nugget in the world of legitimate online jobs because there are plenty of places to start working today as a transcriber…especially if you have no experience. The premise is simple: you listen to people speak and type out what is being said.
It gets better: transcription is the kind of work a lot of high-profile bloggers need done, therefore they pay more. You can read my step-by-step guide on how to do online transcription here.
The key to doing online transcription work is a keen ear. Yes, fast typing is important, but you’ll spend a lot of time re-listening to the transcription audio file. Sometimes it’s hard to figure out words and work through strong accents.
Thinking of starting a career in transcription but need more starter information? Check out this free guide.
See…There Really Are Online Jobs You Can Start Today
As you can see, there really are legitimate online jobs that you can do today. These are five of the easiest ones to get started with, and I hope this post gives you some ideas and inspiration to start an online career.
Before I go, I want to invite you to write a comment to let me know what job you’ve decided to get started on.