This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my full disclosure
There’s nothing worse than looking through millions of so-called “legitimate online jobs” only to find a bunch of junk. Or you wind up waiting weeks before you hear if you got the job.
Am I right?
But here’s the thing: Good ones are out there. Ones you can start today. Just waiting for you to make the move.
In this post, I’m writing about 5 online jobs you can get started with today. Not only that, I’ll give you companies that are hiring for these jobs. Oh…did I mention they’re perfect for all of you who want something that is super flexible ?
Let’s get to them.
Legitimate Online Jobs You Can Start Today
#1 Social Media Strategist
This is one of the best online jobs out there today because so many companies have made a major presence on social media. Plus, it can be done from anywhere. And whether you’re working for a flexible company or managing accounts on your own, there’s no shortage of ways to get work as an online social media specialist.
Here’s what I mean:
- You can work for companies like Modsquad and Appen, moderating social platforms for some of their clients.
- You can also find a cool Social Media job on Hubstaff Talent or We Work Remotely and work on a brand’s image across all social platforms.
- Or, you can specialize in a single area of social media and be a pro on that one platform, like I wrote about in this How To Be A Pinterest Manager post
I know a lot of writers. I’m a writer. All bloggers are writers. What’s really nice about this kind of online job is the fact you don’t have to settle for just one kind of writing style or topic. And what’s better, there are so many places you can find writing gigs and make a nice chunk of change (I’ve seen some places pay writers up to $100.00 for an article).
How do you get started as a paid writer ? You have 5 options:
1) You can start out by writing for some of the content mills like Copypress, Blogmutt and Textbroker. In case you’re wondering, a content mill is an online platform where writers (or aspiring writers) publish articles that are then sold to blog owners to be used as content on their blog.
2) Become a paid contributer for blogs. I think this is a great option if you have some knowledge and experience in a specific niche and don’t want to run your won blog. Just remember to read the guidelines and follow them exactly.
Here are some places that pay you to write:
3) Check out the well-screened Problogger.com job board because I think it’s the #1 place to look for writing assignments.
4) Become a freelance writer and set yourself up on Upwork or Freelancer so people and businesses find you. Start out accepting small writing gigs so you build up your profile, then move up to larger writing projects.
5) Give blogging a try because I bet you have plenty to blog about. Here are a couple ideas: Are you a new mom who has a lot of new-mommy tips to share? Do you have a lot to say about perennial gardening. Go for it ! And if you’re interested, here’s my guide on how to start a blog on WordPress.
#3 Editing / Proofreading
Another hot online job, which you can get started doing today. You can work from home as an Editor or Proofreader with Scribendi or Enago and get started today. Or, get started as a freelancer on Upwork and set your own rates. New editors who have fewer than 5 years experience can make over $58,000.00 a year. To become an Editor, you should have a Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or English and some proofreading experience. Although this seems like a lot to have, this can be a very rewarding career.
WAIT ! Don’t run away !
Freelancing is a great opportunity for you to enter a particular “space” in the online job world. You can be a pro in any field, work whenever you need to, and even travel while you work. And the coolest thing: because there are so many types of freelancer gig out there, your options are endless.
Here’s a short list of some freelance opportunities out there:
- Blog manager
- Web designer
- Plugin developer
- Video editor
- Graphic designer
- Photo edotor
- Pinterest Pin Creator
- SEO Specialist
- Teach english
- Be a Virtual Assistant
Be creative. Think about what you like to do. All you need is one client and you’re on your way. To help you with that, Pat Flynn of SmartPassiveIncome.com interviewed Charli Marie of CharliMarietv where she shares vital tips on getting that first client and making money. Take a look…
So, you’re probably asking: “where can I find freelance jobs?”
For one, there are a lot of freelance platforms online where you can get started, like Upwork and Fiverr.
Another option is to find clients via social media. If you have a large Twitter following, just send out tweets saying what you offer and how you can help. And don’t forget to look for Facebook groups like Creative Freelancers Unite, Freelancing Females and Virtual Assistant Jobs.
Let’s not overlook networking. Reach out to friends and colleagues. Get your name out in the community. Networking will never die.
And don’t hesitate to learn new skills. Udemy is a treasure-trove of online courses you can take, taught by experts in their field – a lot for around $10.00
Ok,this one is a little golden nugget in the world of legitimate online jobs because there are plenty of places to start working today as a transcriber. The key to this kind of work is a keen ear and fast typing fingers. The basic rules to transcription is listening to people speak and typing out what is being said.
There is a little learning curve but the work is very easy. I should tell you this: sometimes it’s hard to decipher some of the strong accents and you’ll have to replay the dictation a few times to get it right. I recently wrote a post about the best paying transcription companies, which you can read here.
Thinking of starting a career in transcription but need more starter information? Check out this free guide.
See…There Really Are Online Jobs You Can Start Today
As you can see, there really are legitimate online jobs that you can dig into today. These are four of the easiest ones to get started with, and I hope this post gives you some ideas and inspiration to start an online career. Before I go, I want to invite you to write a comment to let me know what job you’ve decided to get started on.