Content writing is an in-demand remote job that pays well, doesn’t require a degree, and gives you the opportunity to work in the exact niche you want. But if you’re considering a new career as a Content Writer, you’re probably wondering: “what are the best content writing tools?”
Being a content writer is more than just writing a few paragraphs, crossing your fingers, and hoping your work turns heads. It’s about writing content with a balance of quality and quantity while meeting certain goals…which, more often than not, are increases in readership and revenue.
With the use of artificial intelligence (AI), you can reach your goals quicker and easier, whether you’re doing online writing jobs as a freelancer or employed with a company. AI writing tools use advanced technology to mimic human writing and are used in the creation of blog posts, marketing materials, and just about any document you can think of.
In today’s guide, I’m reviewing the best content writing tools that use AI technology you must check out. I’m also listing the top features and pricing plans of each software.
The Best Content Writing Tools
Best for structure and grammar suggestions through advanced technologies.
Grammarly is a popular content writing software used by many seasoned and new writers to change grammar, spelling and usage, wordiness, style, and punctuation. Grammarly can also check for plagiarism and provide multi-language support.
- Suggestions for spelling, grammar and punctuation
- Clarity, delivery, and tone suggestions
- Multi-language support
- Document encryption for security
- Desktop app, where you just copy and paste your content into the editor.
- Browser extension that gives you the ability to make changes on the fly to emails and Google Docs.
- Mobile and iPad versions when you’re not able to use your desktop.
- Microsoft version that lets you make content changes directly on Microsoft Office.
Once you set up and sign-into your your Grammarly account, start editing a new document or uploading an existing one.
Grammarly has 3 plans, each one suitable for different size teams and businesses. Here’s the breakdown:
- Free plan, $0.00 per month
- Offers basic spelling, grammar and punctuation suggestions.
- Provides some clarity and delivery suggestions, such as conciseness and tone detection.
- Best for beginners
- Premium plan, $12.00 per month
- Gives grammar, spelling and punctuation suggestions as well as consistency and fluency recommendations.
- Offers more delivery and tone options
- Detects plagiarism
- Ideal advanced plan for single user
- Business plan, $12.50 per month
- For accounts with multiple users
- Includes everything in the Premium plan plus team management tools
Best free version with a large selection of options.
ProWritingAid is an AI tool that offers grammar, spelling, and punctuation checks and makes intuitive suggestions to help you weed-out extra words and phrases for smoother reading. It’s a feature-packed tool that works with many popular 3rd party programs like Google, MS Word, Outlook, Scrivener, even Open Office.
- 1000s of grammar, spelling and readability improvement suggestions
- More than 20 editing tools, including:
- word repetitiveness
- vague wording,
- sentence length
- word over-use
- passive voice
- over-complicated sentence constructions
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Edge and Safari.
- Works on almost every website, including Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, Medium, Wattpad.
- Easily integrates with MS Word/Outlook, Google Docs, Scrivener, Open Office, and Final Draft.
- Lets you create your own style guides and dictionaries.
- In-depth reporting via charts and graphs for providing valuable insights around readability, sentence variation and more.
The free online editor gives you more than the basics; not only does it offer style and grammar suggestions, it’ll highlight overused words, do a ‘thesaurus check’, check the structure, and grade the readability.
Start by clicking the ‘Try The Editing Tool’ then sign-up. Once you do that, you’ll receive an email with a confirmation link. Click the link and you’re set to start editing.
Here’s a quick rundown on how to use the free editor:
First, type or copy/paste your content in the document area, it takes a few seconds for the suggested improvements to pop up.
Then, click the menu items above the editor to see if there are any items that may need re-doing. If there are any, they will be highlighted in the editor with a summary on the left.
Now, hover over the underlined areas to see the suggestions. If you like a suggestion, click it and your text will automatically change.
Finally, when done with your changes, under Menu click the option to save. From here, you can copy/paste to your blog post or share a link via email.
Besides the free version, there are 3 paid subscriptions:
#1 $20.00 Monthly
#2 $79.00 yearly
#3 $399.00 lifetime
Best for giving several rewriting options
One of the best content writing software programs out there, Wordtune is more of a rewriting and rephrasing tool than a grammar-checker and proofreading software. With artificial intelligence (AI) technology, it understands the context of your writing and rephrases sentences to make them more engaging and compelling.
(I did that last sentence with the free Word Tune editor 😊).
You can work directly in the editor on your computer or download the browser extension, whichever suits you, follow the on-screen prompts, then just start writing – highlighting the text you want re-written.
Besides what you just read, here are a few more features:
- It’s grammatically correct
- 100% cloud based
- The rewrite suggestions let you perfect your tone, word choice and flow.
- It’s available in English only, but it is a great tool for non-native English speakers.
- The Rewrite feature translate & rewrites from other languages into English: Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Hindi, Korean, Hebrew and Russian.
- Works across multiple platforms, such as Google Docs, Slack, Facebook, etc.
- Wordtune is blocked from accessing any data-sensitive text boxes that appears in forms, such as credit cards and passwords.
There are 3 plans:
#1, Free. This is the basic plan that gives you up to 20 rewrites per day.
#2, Premium at $9.99 per month. This plan gives you unlimited rewrites, tones, and sentenance shorteners/lengtheners. Additionally, you get premium support
#3, Premium For Teams at custom pricing. Here, you get everything the Premium plan offers plus team billing.
Best for Sales and Support related personalized responses
An AI messaging assistant for sales and customer support teams, Sapling is a browser add-on that works with customer relationship management technology (CRM) and messaging platforms to compose personalized responses to customers.
When it comes to being a top-rated content writing tool, Sapling’s browser add-on is a grammar-checker and writing assistant that boasts it catches 60% more errors than other tools. You can write fluent, mistake-free messages and emails while maintaining a professional tone.
Here are more features you’ll get with Sapling:
- Predicts what you’ll type to save time
- Knowledge snippets so you can quickly insert commonly used messages
- Autocomplete suggestions
- Works with whatever you write in Gmail, Outlook, Linkedin, Zendesk, Salesforce, and more.
The free version gives you the basics…basic autocomplete suggestions and 20 knowledge snippets. You can also use Sapling on many free domains, like Slack, Gmail, Google Workspace, Dropbox Paper, Outlook, …just to name a few.
The Pro version, at $25.00 per month, gives you everything the free one offers plus unlimited knowledge snippets, premium autocomplete suggestions, the ability to use on free domains plus many premium ones, like Zendesk, Livechat, AWS, Salesforce and many more. Plus, there’s support.
The Enterprise version, which is custom priced, gives you everything in the Pro version plus a lot more including more insights, analytics, and dedicated support.
Best for SEO friendly research, analysis and writing all in one tool
SurferSEO is an awesome tool that combines content editing with search engine optimization (SEO) for any document you want to publish on the web, like blog posts and articles. Basically, it analyses your content against more than 500 on-page signals and helps you organize your content so readers get what they’re looking for and search engines know your content is relevant to your target query.
A nice feature of SurferSEO is their natural language processing (NLP) to extract relevant words and phrases to your content’s main topic. With this feature, you’ll know which words to use, how often, and where to use them..
The content creation part of SurferSEO lets you copy/paste your content into the Content Editor and then it goes to work scanning the top-rated results in Google. This intelligence lets you know what topic-related keywords you should incorporate and where to use them.
The SEO portion of SurferSEO helps you optimize your content through its keyword research, competition comparison, and SEO analyzing insights. To simplify your content’s SEO strategy, this tool points out common patterns from top-ranking pages so you know what’s working right now.
SurferSEO has 3 plans, each with a 7-day money back guarantee. All plans include the Content Planner and SERP Analyzer and, if you pay for an entire year up-front, you get a 17% discount.
- Basic, $49.00 per month. You get 10 content editors (think of an editor as a single blog post), 20 SEO audits, and free NLP for the first month.
- Pro, $99.00 per month. You get 30 content editors, 60 audits, NLP included as long as you’re on the plan, and you can invite 3 other content writers to your account.
- Business, $199.00 per month. Included in this plan are 70 content editors, 140 audits, NLP, up to 10 additional members, white labeling and API.
Best Headline and Blog Post Idea Generators
Article writing for blogs is one of the most in-demand content writing freelance jobs – also one that requires new ideas to keep readers engaged.
The Blog Idea Generator is a free tool that helps you come up with new and interesting blog ideas. It’s offered by one of the leading customer relationship management companies out there…they know a thing or two about blogging.
According to Hubspot:
We believe bringing world class tools to people for free is the first step to seeing better content on the web.Hubspot.com
- Anonymous. Your blog ideas will not be shared with other users
- Generates 5 blog ideas
To use the tool, simply enter up to 5 nouns related to a specific topic. Then, click the “Give Me Blog Ideas’ button to get several ideas.
Free ! Go here to get started.
CoSchedule is the creator of this tool, which analyzes your headlines based on overall wording and SEO ability.
Here are some of the points you’re graded on:
- word balance and count,
- reading grade level,
- sentiment and clarity,
- average monthly searches,
- keyword trend, quality, and density
- average monthly searches for the keyword in your title
- search competition
- what your headline looks like in the search engines
What you’ll really appreciate is the suggestions Headline Studio has for each grade, giving you the ability to make a headline that stands out and gets clicked-on.
Free ! just go here and set up an account
Best Google search aggregator for blog post ideas
Using data from Google’s autocomplete search, Answer The Public is a free tool that visually lists every phrase and question people ask based on a word or phrase you enter.
- Several free daily searches
- Can see results in visualization or data formats
- Questions, Prepositions, comparisons, and related searches are presented
- Unlimited searches (paid plans)
- Data comparison (paid plans)
- CSV export (paid plans)
Free and pro plans are available. The Monthly, Annual, and Expert plans cost $99, $79, and $199.00 respectively
A topic popularity tool, Google Trends ranks terms and topics based on the number of searches. This gives content creators a little insight into what they should – or should not – write about.
- Easy to use
- Can see trends based on different countries
- Trends are available for current day or past months/years
- You can compare multiple terms or topics
Free ! Go here to start using Google Trends
So, What Tool is Best For Content Writing ?
Writing assistant tools can help you create blog posts, social media content, even branding and marketing material with error-free, engaging content.
Although no tool is 100% accurate, they will speed up the process of creating content while giving it a natural feel.
If you’re looking for reliable content writing tools, consider one (or more) of these: